Arguably the most time-honoured of all cocktails, the secret to a classic martini – as with all great recipes – is to use quality ingredients. Good gin and good vermouth are essential here. After that: olives or lemon? Shaken or stirred? Stuffed olives with blue cheese or pimento? That’s up to you.
- 75ml dry gin
- 15ml dry vermouth (we used Martini)
- Olives and/or lemon peel, to garnish
- If possible, chill your glass in the freezer (or at least the fridge).
- Add ice, gin and vermouth into a cocktail shaker or mixing glass and shake/stir (this is to mix the ice well into the drink to chill it well).
- Strain into a glass. Rub the lemon peel around the rim of the glass before finishing with olives (we used pimento stuffed olives) and lemon peel.