Never argue with the kids about not eating their broccoli again! This cheesy bowl of deliciousness is so tasty, while also being packed with tiny trees of nutrition. Just make sure you don’t eat it all before you get it to the table.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Small knob of butter
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups milk
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 chicken stock cube
- ½ teaspoon each mustard and garlic powder
- 1 head broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 400g colby cheese
- Melt butter and oil in a large pan and fry onion until fragrant and golden.
- Add flour and whisk quickly (use a fork if you don’t have a whisk).
- When your mix is golden brown, reduce heat and slowly add the chicken stock, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Season with salt, pepper, stock cube, mustard and garlic powder and stir well until the soup begins to thicken (about 5 minutes).
- Add broccoli and simmer for 20 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Mix through cheese and stir until it’s just combined.
- Taste test (naturally!), adding more seasoning if required.
- Serve with crusty bread.