This wonderfully soothing broth is delicious on its own, and it’s also the base for a host of other soups. Once you’ve got the base broth made, you can create any kind of soup you like!
- 1 litre stock (we used chicken, but any stock is fine)
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, main stem removed
- Juice of 2 limes
- 5cm cube ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 star anise
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- Place all ingredients in a pan and bring almost to a boil.
- After around 10 minutes, remove the star anise (leave it in for longer if you want a stronger flavour).
- Bring broth back to heat, and simmer for at least 20 minutes (the longer it simmers, the stronger the flavour).
- Remove from heat and strain off so you have a clear liquid.
Add a spoonful of miso, chopped tofu and spring onions for a delicious miso soup; pour over rice vermicelli and blanched greens for a healthy snack; you can even add shredded chicken or pork, sliced spring onions, seaweed or chilli for heat.